Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Opposition


Opposition






By: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Rating: 5 Wine Glasses



I'm just going to state the obvious right now:I HATE FINISHING SERIES. It's like falling for the perfect guy and then having him leave after a year. I'm just done, I mean I hate when things finish, you know there is such a thing as infinity. Yes, crazy as I sound I want a series that never ends, but it has to be a kick ass series like the Lux Series, or the Mortal Instruments.

Alright now that I have ranted about wanting this series to never end, I'll tell you just how I felt about the end. *sighh*

Gosh, I will have to admit that this was probably my least favorite, which isn't saying much because it's still 5 wine glasses of awesomeness. It's not that it was bad, I feel like it was missing a little more of plot development. It had the plot but not enough action or detail was added to the plot. It kind of just happened, like bam the world was saved. The ending was the part that just didn't feel fully developed. A little to out of the blue, but don't be mistaken I still have a major women crush on Jennifer, she knows how to write a killer story.

 There were lots of high intensity scenes and some kick assery that I highly enjoyed because who doesn't like a hot guy blowing up stuff? That's right, no one.  Ahh yes, now I get to the point of my whole existence and 80% of why I read this book in the first place. Two words: Daemon Black. I'm pretty sure he invented hotness, the freaking creator of it. Let us all take a moment to swoon, maybe two. Gosh damn him and his abnormal hotness; I think we all understand the Daemon Back makes it hard to think so I'm just going to quote his beautifully delicious words

" I broke every rule of my kind to heal you and keep you with me. I married you and burned down an entire city to keep you safe, I've killed for you. Did you think I'd forget what you mean to me? That anything in this world- in any world- would be stronger than my love for you?" Ugh, there goes the swooning. I think we can just agree that wherever daemon black goes swooning goes with him. Sure he's a major pain in the ass sometime, but all the best aliens are.

Enter Katy or Kitten. ;)  Kat is one of my all time favorite female characters she has all this snark and sassy out and ready to use. She's also so relatable, especially because she loves books, and I think that is one of the traits that has me fully in love with Kats character. Katy has become the very thing that Daemon has always needed. She's tough when he somehow can't be. She's compassionate when he's gone over the edge. Shes loving, even when sometimes he doesn't deserve it. They are one of my all time favorite couples because they are what I feel that love should stand for.  This book started with this desperation between them, that they really had to fight through

"There were a hundred ways all of this could play out, and I couldn't see a happy ending with any of them."

They fought so extremely hard for their love, and dammit if I was going to see them fail. Katy did such a good job of being an anchor and I feel like she's always been one in all of the books. Now I feel like I finally recognize Daemon as stepping up and being the anchor that Katy needed in the book. Finally he found something to care about other then himself, and it's so incredibly beautiful. Katy really went through a lot of crap in this book, and we all know she didn't deserve it. The emotions and help that daemon provided for her during those times were so insanely raw and perfect. I love seeing him so broken down and human (ironically), and the dual point of view helped with that immensely.  Daemon ended up realizing the one thing I've always wanted him to realize. "Love was a gift". Cue the sobbing.


Now the humor game was on point. I will never get tired of all that snarky wit from these characters. There were moments that I thought; the whole freaking world needs to hear these lines. Someone needs to tell Jennifer that if she even gets tired of writing to go into comedy, I have a feeling she would succeed.
Example A: " I started picturing people tweaking- everyone in the limo. All of them bent over, butts in the air, looking like damn fools."

Example B: We could really use the Avengers right now"   " Screw that. We need Loki Daemon retorted. General Eaton arched a brow. "Well, unfortunately, the marvel universe isn't real, so..."


And if you aren't convinced of the funniest of Jennifer Armentrout, you need to go see a doctor.


Let's not forget all of the other main characters such as Archer, Luc, and Dee. They were magnificent. Dee is probably one of my favorites, she has the biggest hearts, at least she did for most of this book. There were some technically difficulties that had to be worked out,  mostly through violence and screaming but all was right in the world with the lovely Dee at the end. She was the very best friend that Kat always needed, and I absolute adore her with Archer. That sexy Origin with his purple eyes. Damn those aliens. Always going so hot and beautiful on us.


There were moments in Opposition that I felt were so quotable, such as a time that Kat was talking about loss. It never went away, but stayed with you like a faint shadow that was thinker some days than others."

Also when Daemon said the same thing from Obsidian. "The most beautiful people, ones whose beauty is only rivaled by what is inside of them, are the ones who are quietly unaware of it."
I feel like that really closed it up, first the line was used in Obsidian and then ended with Opposition. These characters will be missed dearly. May the phrase "Holy Alien babies everywhere" live on forever.  I know I won't forget it.

6 comments:

  1. I just finished this book 2 days ago and I think I'm still in denial that the series is over. JLA is a phenomenal writer and I couldn't agree with you more about the awesomeness of Daemon Black. The only tiny little problem i had with this novel was Hunter's character. He wasnt near as bad ass as he was in Obsession. Fantastic review Steph!!
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monique! And I totally agree, we never got to see the awesomeness that is Hunter. :(

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the 4th and 5th book yet so I had to skim through your review but I love your gifs! I know it's going to be a great read :)

    Eileen @ BookCatPin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thanks for stopping by Eileen! And you will love the the 3rd and 4th book! JLA never disappoints. :)

      Delete
  3. Great post! I nominated you for the Liebster Award at http://thecollectionofknowledge.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award-second-one.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Can't wait to answer all the questions!! :)

      Delete